Consistent messaging to internal and external audiences is essential. When everyone receives the same information, it allows all parts of the strategy to work together. I received some tips at the IABC Employee Communication Conference about creating consistency from Terry Weisz Bauder, Vice President of Internal Communications at Marriott International. They include:
1. Develop a communication strategy that includes all components of the internal and external vehicles and plans for messaging throughout the year.
2. Create a consistent process to coordinate timing and delivery of internal and external messages.
3. Have plans in place to mobilize your team to respond to crises or issues; practice and refine your plans as needed.
4. Create an ongoing dialog between Corporate Communication, PR, Internal Communication and other key stakeholders (Human Resources, Legal, Information Technology).
5. Leverage new media as a component of your communication strategy.
6. Reinforce the purpose or goal of internal channels to help employees know and understand how to use the medium and get the most out of it.
7. Create a brand voice and replicate it through coherent, consistent messaging.
8. Educate leaders and executives to make smart choices about vehicles and channels.
9. Don’t forget the value of traditional channels.
As the New Year approaches, how do you plan to send consistent messages to all of your stakeholders?