We all know that unique, creative ideas catch the attention of clients, bosses and audiences. So what do you do when you run into writer’s block? The Council of PR Firms has developed the following 10 tips for coming up with great ideas immediately.
- Try Free Writing—When you get stuck developing new content, sometimes you have to stop trying so hard. Set a timer for 5-10 minutes; sit down with a blank sheet of paper and just write whatever comes to mind.
- Meditate on a random word or image.
- Ask a friend what they would write.
- Rely on your friend to throw ideas back and forth with you.
- Take a break—Trying to force an idea can do more harm than good, so take a step back and do something else for a bit. Take a jog, watch television, read a book; anything to pull yourself away.
- Write down a question and put it under your pillow before going to sleep.
- Hold multiple brainstorm sessions throughout the day.
- Bore yourself—Try doing nothing for an hour. Most people can only do nothing for so long, and you’ll eventually start thinking about the task at hand.
- Write a list of really bad ideas.
- Write about why you’re stuck.
While these ideas have worked for writers in the past, they may not work for everyone. What strategies would you suggest for overcoming a mental block? Need some creative ideas or a friend to bounce ideas off of—call The Vandiver Group at 314-991-4641.