We’ve all heard of the book The 7 Habits of Highly Successful People, but what about the 7 habits of successful public relations professionals? This list highlights what PR people should do to become even better at their jobs.
- Be proactive- Angelique Rewers of The Corporate Agent, says that we need to “sell to the spark.” When events arise that create an immediate need for PR services, contact a potential client and explain to them their window of opportunity.
- Begin with the end in mind- Before beginning the planning process for any campaign, it is important to determine the overall goals of the client brand and corporate strategy. With this in mind, PR professionals can keep their focus on the big picture.
- Put first things first- Time management is an essential skill for anyone who works in PR. With deadlines constantly looming, it is important to learn how to prioritize early in your career.
- Think win-win- Good relationships are essential in communication. Before embarking on corporate sponsorships, fundraising endeavors or community engagements, think about how the relationship is mutually beneficial to both parties.
- Seek first to understand, then to be understood- This is especially true in media relations. You must first understand the reporters you are pitching (and their focus areas) before you can begin to sell your story.
- Synergize- Every person on a PR team is essential to the success of a campaign. The group must learn to work together, while emphasizing the strengths that each individual brings to the team.
- Sharpen the saw- The field of public relations is ever-changing. Good PR professionals must always look for new ways to improve their skills and commit to a career of constant learning.
The Vandiver Group, Inc. is equipped with a public relations team that strives to be the best at what they do. Call us at 314-991-4641 or visit our website at www.vandivergroup.com to learn more how our team can help guide you through your next public relations adventure.